Israel has carried out air strikes in Rafah the place 1.4 million Palestinians are sheltering, elevating fears of a humanitarian catastrophe.
Right here’s how issues stand on Monday, February 12, 2024:
Humanitarian disaster in Gaza
- Israel has carried out in a single day air strikes in Rafah in southern Gaza, killing a minimum of 67 folks. Israeli forces hit homes, hospitals and three mosques, Palestinian officers stated.
- Rafah hosts 1.4 million Palestinians, most of whom had been displaced by Israeli offensives in northern and central Gaza.
- The overall demise toll of Palestinians in Gaza stands at 28,340 for the reason that begin of the warfare on October 7.
- The Israeli army stated it rescued two captives from the Gaza Strip early on Monday, throughout an Israeli raid that included the Rafah strikes.
- The Palestine Pink Crescent Society (PRCS) has known as for the safety of its workers after a number of incidents, together with the killing of two ambulance officers who went to rescue six-year-old Hind Rajab. Rajab’s physique was discovered inside a automobile.
Regional tensions and diplomacy
- US President Joe Biden is internet hosting Jordan’s King Abdullah II in Washington on Monday. The agenda for the assembly includes discussions in regards to the Israeli army operation in Rafah, the discharge of captives in Gaza and rising concern over a attainable Israeli floor operation in Rafah.
- A ship got here underneath assault by two missiles in the important thing Bab el-Mandeb Strait on Monday, the most recent assault carried out by Yemen’s Houthi rebels.
- Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas has arrived in Doha for talks on securing a ceasefire in Gaza with the Qatari Emir Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani. Palestinian information company Wafa reported that the 2 leaders would meet on Monday.
- US Senator Bernie Sanders has stated “nobody in Congress” ought to help the Biden administration sending army support to Israel, in a publish on X.
Occupied West Financial institution
- A professional-settler organisation launched a report on Sunday displaying that the inhabitants of Israeli settlers within the occupied West Financial institution elevated practically 3 % in 2023 and anticipating development to speed up this 12 months.
- The variety of settlers within the West Financial institution now stands at 517,407, up from 502,991 a 12 months earlier.
- Israeli forces detained a Palestinian man, Hassan al-Sayed, on Sunday night and seized a car from the town of Jenin, Wafa reported.
- Wafa additionally reported that Israeli forces shot and injured a younger Palestinian on Sunday night close to the doorway to the city of Battir, west of Bethlehem.
- Israeli occupation forces on Sunday night detained 5 Palestinian younger males within the Previous Metropolis of Hebron, Wafa reported.